Yesterday, I posted my “Top Ten Albums of 2013” list. Today, I’ll give you the best songs from eleven other albums that didn’t quite make the cut. Go check them out, and purchase the songs you like.
- Anvil – “Flying” from Hope In Hell
- Boston – “Heaven On Earth” from Life, Love & Hope
- Alvin Youngblood Hart – “Motherless Children Have a Hard Time” from True Blues
- Jimi Hendrix – “Hear My Train A Comin’” from People, Hell & Angels
- Tom Keifer –“Solid Ground” from The Way Life Goes
- Kopecky Family Band – “Heartbeat” from Kids Raising Kids
- LL Cool J – “We’re The Greatest” (featuring Eddie Van Halen and Travis Barker) from Authentic
- Lorde – “Royals” from Pure Heroine
- Lynch Mob – “Wicked Sensation” from Unplugged: Live from SugarHill Studios
- Tigertailz – “One Life” from Knives
- Luke Winslow-King – “I’ve Got My Mind Set On You” from The Coming Tide
The Coming Tide
Bloodshot Records, 2013
You don’t hear a new record like this every day. If you are in the mood for something way different, give Luke Winslow-King’s The Coming Tide a listen. A mixture of jazz, blues, ragtime and gospel, the singer has taken the best of New Orleans and crafted a fine album. Esther Rose lends her voice and washboard skills to the record, striking a counterbalance to Winslow-King’s straightforward vocal style.
The Coming Tide is so different than anything played on commercial radio today, it is impossible to pick the best tracks. They are all high-quality performances, and each listener will gravitate to something different. One of the highlights is the last song, a cover of Rudy Clark’s “I’ve Got My mind Set On You” (made popular in 1987 by former Beatle George Harrison). This is quite a different interpretation of the song, but well worth the listen.
1. The Coming Tide
2. Moving On (Towards Better Days)
3. Let ‘em Talk
4. Staying In Town
5. Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning
6. You Don’t Know Better Than Me
7. I’ve Got The Blues For Rampart Street
8. You & Me
9. I Know She’ll Do Right By Me
10. Ella Speed
11. I’ve Got My Mind Set On You
JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound recently premiered a stream of the new song “Howl,” the title track from their forthcoming album, via Rolling Stone. Howl, produced by Howard Bilerman (Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Godspeed You! Black Emperor), will be released on Bloodshot Records on May 21st, 2013.
Luke Winslow-King premiered a stream of his new single “The Coming Tide” – the first from upcoming LP The Coming Tide – on American Songwriter. The Coming Tide will be released on Bloodshot Records on April 23rd.
Deadstring Brothers premiered a stream of their new single “Like a California Wildfire” – the first from new LP Cannery Row – on CMT Edge. Cannery Row will be released on Bloodshot Records on April 9th, 2013.
More information about the above artists, including tour dates, can be found at bloodshotrecords.com.