Today’s cartoons just don’t have the same soul. I loved Saturday mornings as a kid, filled with cartoons before heading to the park to play baseball. While He-Man and Thundercats were some of my favorite shows growing up (and still today, to be honest), neither came from the powerhouse of kids’ cartoons Hanna-Barbera. William Hanna and Joseph Barbera were responsible for some of the most memorable animated shows, from Scooby-Doo to the first ever primetime cartoon, the Flintstones. But there were so many others that don’t receive the recognition they deserve. Here are a few that filled me with nostalgia as I scrolled through Amazon.com:
- Atom Ant
- Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels
- Dastardly & Muttley in Their Flying Machines
- The Herculoids
- Hong Kong Phooey
- The Huckleberry Hound Show
- The Jetsons
- The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show
- The Secret Squirrel Show
- Shirt Tales
- Thundarr the Barbarian
- Top Cat
- Wacky Races
- The Yogi Bear Show
Scooby-Doo has had a number of reboots through the years, so many that the gang warrants its own separate list:
- Scooby-Doo Where Are You! (Seasons 1 and 2 from CBS) and (Season 3 from ABC)
- The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies (these are the ones with guest stars like the Harlem Globetrotters and Batman and Robin)
- The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour
- The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo
- A Pup Named Scooby-Doo (Season 1) and (Seasons 2-4)
- Ultimate Scooby-Doo 15 Movie DVD Collection with Bonus Lunchbag & Mini-Figurine
- Scooby-Doo Laff-A-Lympics
- Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo
- What’s New Scooby-Doo?
- Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated
- Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!
If you want something that is specifically geared toward the holidays, consider these Christmas specials:
- A Flintstone Christmas Collection
- Yogi’s First Christmas
- Yogi Bear’s All-Star Comedy Christmas Caper
- Hanna-Barbera Holiday Triple Feature (with the Flintstones, Smurfs, and Yogi)
- Hanna-Barbera Christmas Classics Collection (A Christmas Story, The Town Santa Forgot, Casper’s First Christmas)
If you don’t feel like gluing yourself to a television set for all those cartoons, maybe you would like to read instead. DC Comics did a special crossover featuring some of their biggest superheroes teaming up with the likes of Dyno-Mutt and Space Ghost. DC Meets Hanna-Barbera was released last year, and Volume Two will be available on Christmas Eve this year!
So you don’t want to watch, and you don’t want to read… you just want to play? Funko has you covered! Check out all these Funko POP Hanna-Barbera figures available:
- Blue Falcon
- Benny the Ball
- Huckleberry Hound
- The Jetsons: George, Jane, Judy, Elroy, Astro, and Rosie
- Quick Draw McGraw
- Top Cat
- Wally Gator
Hanna Barbera Wall Decals
by RoomMates Peel and Stick Décor
Hanna Barbera created some of the most iconic cartoon characters back in the day, and of course Fred Flintstone and George Jetson were a couple of the most popular. I recently obtained giant wall decals from RoomMates of the great prehistoric and futuristic families for my mancave, and they look spectacular.
These wall decals were easier to apply than Hong Kong Phooey was, since there were fewer pieces to work with. The Flintstones wall decal is only four pieces: the car with the family, the smoke from the back wheel, “Yabba-Dabba-Doo,” and the nameplate; the Jetsons wall decal is one for the spaceship and several small decorative pieces.
If you are a Hanna Barbera fan, you will want to grab these wall decals while they last; there are only a few left, and they will not be reprinted once they’re gone. In addition to the Flintstones, Jetsons, and Hong Kong Phooey, RoomMates also offers Yogi Bear and Tom & Jerry. Looney Tunes designs have also been discontinued, so if you like Taz, Daffy Duck, or Tweety Bird, go ahead and grab those too!
Need some help paying for your new wall decals? RoomMates is giving away some store credit to a couple of lucky readers of The Writer’s Journey! (Full details at this link.) You can use the credit toward your favorite Hanna Barbera or Warner Brothers design, or any of RoomMates’ other offerings…Superman, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Harry Potter, even The Godfather! But you have to register for the giveaway by sending your name and e-mail address to email@example.com by Sunday night at 11:59 pm eastern time; we’ll be announcing the winners on Monday!