We’ve all heard the story about Van Halen and the brown M&M’s. But have you ever heard David Lee Roth sing about it? Of course not. If you want to know what is in a rocker’s heart of hearts, you have to listen to what they sing. Here’s a rundown of ten of the deepest desires of rock legends…
- The Ramones, “I Just Want To Have Something To Do” — Doesn’t everybody? Especially kids when they’re not in school. I swear, three days into summer break, my kids start in with the “I’m bored” bit. Every year. (For the record, so did I.)
- Ratt, “I Want A Woman” — Any woman in particular, Stephen?
- KISS, “I Want You” — That’s a little more specific, I suppose, as long as “you” knows who she is.
- Cheap Trick, “I Want You To Want Me” — Not only want, though…need. Sounds a bit clingy if you ask me.
- JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound, “Want More” — While Van Halen recognizes that “Everybody Wants Some,” this Chicago R&B group readily admits they “Want More.”
- Queen, “I Want It All” — Selfish much?
- Def Leppard, “All I Want Is Everything” — There is just no pleasing some people. Keep in mind that Mick Jagger and the boys said, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” Sorry Joe.
- Weird Al Yankovic, “I Want a New Duck” — How is that for specific? Not a swan. Not an eagle. Not a goose. Weird Al just wants a new duck.
- Weezer, “(If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To” — Thanks for being proactive, Rivers.
- Twisted Sister, “I Wanna Rock” — This is the essence of every true rocker’s soul. And I’m happy to say, Dee Snider, that you do rock. You got what you wanted.
JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound recently premiered a stream of the new song “Howl,” the title track from their forthcoming album, via Rolling Stone. Howl, produced by Howard Bilerman (Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Godspeed You! Black Emperor), will be released on Bloodshot Records on May 21st, 2013.
Luke Winslow-King premiered a stream of his new single “The Coming Tide” – the first from upcoming LP The Coming Tide – on American Songwriter. The Coming Tide will be released on Bloodshot Records on April 23rd.
Deadstring Brothers premiered a stream of their new single “Like a California Wildfire” – the first from new LP Cannery Row – on CMT Edge. Cannery Row will be released on Bloodshot Records on April 9th, 2013.
More information about the above artists, including tour dates, can be found at bloodshotrecords.com.
JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound
Bloodshot Records, 2011
A blast from the past, but this ain’t no novelty act! JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound deliver powerful soul from the very first song on Want More. The band has a vintage sound, complete with a wonderful falsetto from Brooks on “I Got High” and the heartfelt “To Love Someone (That Don’t Love You).” And the bass on “Baaadnews” makes me smile every time I hear it.
One of the most entertaining songs on the album is a cover of Wilco’s “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart,” taking the song in a completely different yet fantastic direction. Another cover, the aforementioned “To Love Someone (That Don’t Love You),” was originally released by the obscure Kaldirons in 1970.
There is really nothing bad one can say about Want More. The band is tight, and the singer is spectacular and energetic. If you love classic soul music, chances are you will love JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound. Check their tour schedule and catch the crooner and his band when they hit your town.
1. Want More
2. Everything Will Be Fine
3. I Got High
4. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
5. Don’t Lock The Door
7. To Love Someone (That Don’t Love You)
8. I Can See Everything
9. Missing Things
10. Sister Ray Charles
JC Brooks (lead vocals)
Billy Bungeroth (guitars, vocals)
Kevin Marks (drums, percussion, vocals)
Ben Taylor (bass, vocals)
Watch the video for “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart” below: