Now that Halloween is over, is it safe to start talking about Christmas gift ideas? A couple of years ago I did a series of posts highlighting some ideas that might delight fans of various topics, and one of the most popular posts in that series related to comic book art. That particular post continues to get hits today, so I thought I would follow it up with a more streamlined version: Christmas gift ideas for your aspiring DC comic book writers/artists. Take a look at these titles in this series of “DC Comics Guide” books:
- The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics
- The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics: Inside the Art of Visual Storytelling
- The DC Comics Guide to Pencilling Comics
- The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics
- DC Comics Guide to Coloring and Lettering Comics
- The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
I have not personally reviewed any of those titles, but they seem to be geared toward an older, more serious dreamer. If your aspiring artist is a beginner, or is just getting his feet wet with sketching, the following books may be more his or her speed:
- DC Justice League: Draw It
- How to Draw Batman, Superman, and Other DC Super Heroes and Villains
- How to Draw Superman and His Friends and Foes
- How to Draw Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Other DC Super Heroes
- How to Draw Batman and His Friends and Foes
- How to Draw the Joker, Lex Luthor, and Other DC Super-Villains
It started September 13, when I read X-Entertainment’s blog about Halloweeny Pop Tarts. Immediately (meaning the next day) I went to Walmart to find these toaster pastries which were destined to become the greatest thing I have ever put in my mouth. But Walmart didn’t have them.
So I went to Kroger. And Remke. And Walgreens. Even Kmart. Read that again: even Kmart. But no one had Choc-o-Lantern Pop Tarts. They didn’t even have them on Amazon! (To be honest, I didn’t know Amazon sold Pop Tarts before I started this quest.)
But thanks to a tip from a co-worker, I found them last night. At Remke in another city. That’s right, I went out of my way to a store I had never patronized to purchase a box of toaster pastries.
And they were worth it.
But that’s not all…
As I was browsing the various goodies to be had, I spied this…
I love the Flash. He is probably my favorite comic book character. I have a Flash t-shirt. I wear it often. It probably needs to be replaced because I wear it too often. So I found it very difficult to resist these delicious-looking Flash Cakes. So difficult, that I didn’t resist them. Moments later…
…they were in the backseat of my car along with the Choc-o-Lantern Pop Tarts and a few other not-so-healthy snacks. Too bad I don’t like coconut, or I would have bought some Green Lantern Glo Balls too!
Ryan Reynolds is the perfect choice for this role. Hollywood better not mess it up.