I have been following Funko‘s various social media accounts as they reveal upcoming releases at Comic Cons and Toy Fairs. A lot of great stuff on deck, including characters from The Office, Office Space, The Lion King, *NSync, and more.
I think the one I am anticipating more than any other is Shazam. I’m a huge Zachary Levi fan, and the trailer for the movie looks hilarious, so this one is definitely going to be added to my collection at some point this year.
But if you’re not into comic book movies or sitcoms or Disney or boybands, never fear…Funko will continue to produce sports-themed Funko Pops in 2019. MLB, NFL, and NASCAR are all among the upcoming releases. Even Muhammad Ali and Babe Ruth are a part of the 2019 roster.
By the Power of Grayskull! He-Man has one of the strongest fan bases of any 1980s cartoon series, and the merchandise available to choose from is insane. Here are just a handful of suggestions for the He-Fan or She-Raver in your life.
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Season 1
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Season 2
- He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special
- Masters of the Universe motion picture starring Dolph Lundgren
- She-Ra, Princess of Power: Season One, Vol. 1
- She-Ra, Princess of Power: Season One, Vol. 2
- She-Ra, Princess of Power: Season Two
- The New Adventures of He-Man, Vol. 1
- The New Adventures of He-Man, Vol. 2
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Complete 200X Series
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Minicomic Collection
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: A Character Guide and World Compendium
- He-Man and She-Ra: A Complete Guide to the Classic Animated Adventures
- Art of He Man and the Masters of the Universe
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Newspaper Comic Strips
- How He-Man Mastered the Universe: Toy to Television to the Big Screen
- The Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Limited Edition
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Vol. 1
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Vol. 2: Origins of Eternia
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Vol. 3
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Vol. 4: What Lies Within
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Vol. 5: The Blood of Grayskull
- He-Man: The Eternity War Vol. 2
- He-Man: The Eternity War Vol. 2
- DC Universe Vs. Masters of the Universe
Toys and Collectibles
- Funko POP: Battle Armor He-Man, Battle Armor Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Merman, Trap Jaw, Evil Lyn, Stratos, Orko, Hordak, Beast Man, Moss Man, or if you want to spend a ton of money, He-Man or She-Ra
- Funko VYNL: He-Man + Trap Jaw, Prince Adam + Cringer, Beast Man + Sorceress
- Super 7 ReAction Figures: Battle Armor He-Man, Battle Armor Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Teela, Zodac, Tri-Klops, Kobra Khan, Stratos, She-Ra & Hordak (SDCC Exclusive)
- Mega Construx Heroes: He-Man, Teela, Beast Man, Faker
- Mattel Minis: He-Man & Skeletor (2013 SDCC Exclusive), Battle Armor He-Man & Mer-Man, Zodac & Beast Man, Scareglow & Stratos, Faker & Man-At-Arms, King He-Man & Clawful
- The Loyal Subjects Masters The Universe Blindbox
- Or just browse everything that is available at the moment on Amazon, but let me warn you, some of the prices get a little crazy!
- Vintage MOTU
- “I Have The Power!”
- “How You Doin’?”
- “Ripped and Equipped”
- “Casual Friday”
- “Blink If You Want Me”
- “Call the Vet, These Puppies are Sick”
- “Eternia Gym”
- Skeletor (Misfits parody)
- He-Man and She-Ra Faux Christmas Sweater
- Filmation She-Ra and Swiftwind
- Filmation “She-Ra, Princess of Power”
- Dreamworks “She-Ra Rules”
- DreamWorks She-Ra/Adora Character Split
P.S. — If anyone wants to get me something for Christmas (because I’m not spending this type of money on a CD), I would love the Filmation Original Soundtrack. $45 just seems a little steep to me.
These things are like cockroaches, but some of them are so cute. However, regardless of their cuteness, I refuse to begin another collecting habit. I already have my much-neglected baseball card collection, and my dust-collecting bobblehead collection, and my shelf-breaking book collection (okay, I don’t actually have any broken shelves yet, but some are bowing). I cannot fathom bring myself to start buying these Funko Pop figures en masse.
That said, whenever I see one that I actually like, I find it difficult to resist the urge to add it to my Amazon wishlist. And when the company tweets all of their giveaways, I’m pretty quick to hit that little RT button. I haven’t won anything from Funko yet, but my number has got to come up eventually, right?
— Funko (@OriginalFunko) October 16, 2017
Some characters work better in the Funko universe than others. Masters of the Universe characters, as a general rule, look pretty rad. And Cobra Commander—either hooded or silver-masked (or both!?!)—would be pretty cool additions to the collection. Ugh! There’s that word again! Collection!?!?! No! I refuse! I will not give in!
But I did recently. I invited a second Funko Pop figure into my house, and he will never leave. Trap Jaw is now a permanent resident. He joins The Walking Dead‘s Daryl Dixon, which was gifted to me by my oldest son last Christmas. They both look fantastic, and I’m happy to have them. They will likely be joined by others (like this, and this, and possibly this and this, and maybe this) in the near future, but I refuse to collect them.
There are a few characters that have not yet to my knowledge received the Funko Pop treatment that I would likely buy immediately, such as Edgar Allan Poe and Ralph Hinkley (also known as The Greatest American Hero). But still, I will not collect them.