The original trilogy is classic. The prequel trilogy, not so much. J.J. Abrams’ first entry into the third trilogy restored the faith for fans of the classics, but Rian Johnson shredded that renewed fandom in less than three hours. Ron Howard’s Solo was excellent (ignore the negative reviews from so-called “fans” who never even bothered to see it). Abrams is back in the driver’s seat for the ninth and final episode of the Skywalker saga, due next year, and I am hopeful and optimistic that he will finish well.
While the Star Wars bandwagon has slowed considerably, there are still many gifts suitable for those who have not abandoned that galaxy far, far away. Here are a few ideas to get you going.
- Episodes IV-VI: The original trilogy
- Episodes I-III: The prequel trilogy
- Episode VII: The Force Awakens
- Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Clone Wars
- Ewok Adventures
- If you already own the movies, you may want to grab the John Williams soundtracks for use in the car or office.
- William Shakespeare’s The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First by Ian Doescher
- William Shakespeare’s The Clone Army Attacketh: Star Wars Part the Second by Ian Doescher
- William Shakespeare’s Tragedy of the Sith’s Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third by Ian Doescher
- William Shakespeare’s Verily, A New Hope: Star Wars Part the Fourth by Ian Doescher (I cannot recommend books 4-6 highly enough. Easily some of my favorite Star Wars books ever. The prequels suffer from the lack of quality of the source material, while the novelty may have worn off a bit by “Part the Seventh.” But parts 4-6 are must-reads.)
- William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back: Star Wars Part the Fifth by Ian Doescher
- William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return: Star Wars Part the Sixth by Ian Doescher
- William Shakespeare’s The Force Doth Awaken: Star Wars Part the Seventh by Ian Doescher
- William Shakespeare’s Jedi the Last: Star Wars Part the Eighth by Ian Doescher
- Star Wars: The Classic Newspaper Comics Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3
- Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3
- Star Wars: Droids & Ewoks Omnibus
- The Star Wars Cook Book: Wookiee Cookies and Other Galactic Recipes
- There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Star Wars books to choose from. DOn’t click here until you can spare a few hours to go down the Jaxxon hole.
Toys and Collectibles
- The Art of Star Wars Comics: 100 Collectible Postcards
- Lego Sets
- Action Figures
- Funko POP!
- Funko Vynl
Other odds & ends