Voting is open for the 2012 Revolver Golden Gods. I’m not crazy about all the nominations; I feel a lot of deserving artists were left out. Here’s how I voted…
- Best drummer: Charlie Benante (Anthrax) – Anthrax and Foo Fighters were the only bands mentioned here that I was really familiar with. If I could have written in a vote, I would have given it to Alex Van Halen.
- Best guitarists: Dave Mustaine and Chris Broderick (Megadeth) – Again, the only ones that I know anything about. I’ve seen Five Finger Death Punch in concert, but I was not impressed.
- Best vocalist: Sebastian Bach – His latest album was not that great, but I didn’t like any of the other nominees. Honestly, I’m not sure who I would have written in on this one. Most of my favorites are way past their prime.
- Album of the year: Anthrax, ‘Worship Music’ – “The year” is evidently 2011. While this made my list of best releases of the year, it wasn’t at the top. Alice Cooper and Sixx:A.M. tied for the best of the year in my book.
- Best live band: Guns N’ Roses – I only saw two hard rock concerts last year: Judas Priest (with Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society), and Guns N’ Roses (with D Generation). Both were nominated, and as great as Priest was, GNR was better.
- Most metal athlete: Evan Longoria (MLB baseball) – The only baseball player on the list.
- Comeback of the year: Van Halen – As if there was any question.
- Riff lord: Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen) – Best hard rock guitarist ever.
- Best bassist: Wolfgang Van Halen (Van Halen) – This was a difficult category. Michael Anthony (Chickenfoot) was also nominated, but I really don’t like Chickenfoot that much. Nikki Sixx (Sixx:A.M.) was also nominated, and as I already mentioned, they released a great album in 2011. But after seeing Van Halen in concert last week and hearing what Wolfie can do on record, he’s the winner.
- Best international band: -blank-– Not familiar with any of the bands, so I decided to leave this one blank.
- Most dedicated fans: -blank- – I don’t understand this category at all. I don’t like any of the bands, so why would I vote for their fans?
Saturday was my last live broadcast for ClassX. It was a difficult decision to make, because I really do love doing the show and the station’s playlist is incredible. However, with gas prices continuing to rise, it was no longer economical to make the trip every week. Read the rest of this entry
The Endeverafter/Airbourne show in Lexington was awesome last night. I ended buying the CD of the other national band on the bill, Stonerider, and had all the guys in the band sign it for me. Rob from Hard Rock Hideout went down there with me, and took some video, so be sure to check his site to see those as soon as he gets them uploaded. While you’re waiting, though, you can check out some video of another act he saw Sunday night in Cincinnati: Joey Belladonna of Anthrax.
There are a few more videos posted at the site from the Belladonna show, as well as other bands like Tesla, Jackyl, etc. Be sure to check out Hard Rock Hideout today!