Category Archives: toys & games
If you don’t know any “Weird Al” fans, you need new friends.
For everyone else, you might be wondering what to buy them for Christmas. Sure, you could gift some CDs or vinyl, but that’s too normal, isn’t it? Here are some alternatives for your Weirdest friends…
- Lights, Camera, Accordion!: Eye-Popping Photographs of “Weird Al” Yankovic, 1981–2006. A new hardcover book of photos, set for a November 15 release. Because who hasn’t seen enough Al?
- “Weird Al” Chia Pet. No normal person would buy this. Which makes it perfect for “Weird Al” fans.
- 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray of UHF. This should be a part of every person’s movie library.
- NECA “Weird Al Yankovic – Clothed 8” Action Figure.
- NECA Simpsons 25th Anniversary Series 4 Weird Al 5″ Celebrity Action Figure. Just a little out of my price range.
- Funko Pop! Fat figure. I can’t believe I procrastinated and missed this when it was much cheaper.
- Funko Pop! with accordion. Another one I missed out on when it was first released, and I’m not paying $30+ for it now.
- Stainless Steel Travel Tumbler. Seriously. This is a real thing.
- Christmas Tree Ornament. No Christmas tree would be complete without something Weird on it.
- The “Weird Al” Yankovic Anthology sheet music. For your aspiring parodists.
- Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection: The Greatest Novelty Records Of All Time. A great collection of comedic genius. Not as great as an all-“Weird Al” collection, but your Weird friends should already have Al’s complete discography already.
That’s eleven awesome things to choose from. That’s right, eleven, not ten. Because a “top ten” list would be too normal.
The Mandalorian is awesome, and Baby Yoda (or “The Child”) has stolen the hearts of everyone who has laid eyes on him. Of course, there is no shortage of Baby Yoda merch available or on the horizon.
Currently, it is mostly shirts (and a lot of those are pretty awesome), but there are a few other things floating around…
- Music Box
- Decal Vinyl Sticker
- Another Vinyl Sticker
- Wooden Ornament
- PopSockets Grip and Stand for Phones and Tablets
- Magic Color Morphing Ceramic Coffee Mug
- “Mine Your Love Is” Coffee Mug
- “All I Need in My Life is a Baby Yoda” Coffee Mug
- “A Hug Give Me” Coffee Mug
- “Coffee I Like” Coffee Mug
There are also several “Baby Yoda” items coming after Christmas (check the release dates before ordering!)
And if you like the other characters and accessories from The Mandalorian (again, check those release dates)…
Funko popped up on my radar several years ago with their “Pop” vinyl collectibles. Over the past couple of years, they have added other styles to their repertoire, and I really love the DC “Primal Age” figures and Thundercats and horror icon “Savage World” collections. While I have seen some negative reviews on these MOTU-style figures, we did purchase some last year and did not have any issues with them. Read the reviews and proceed at your own risk.
DC “Primal Age”
- Wonder Woman
- The Flash
- Green Lantern
- Batcave Playset
- Krypto the Superdog
- Ace the Bat Hound
- Joker Beast
- Lex Luthor
- Mr. Freeze
- Black Manta
- King Shark
Thundercats “Savage World”
- Tygra (pre-order)
- Cheetara (pre-order)
- Jackalman (pre-order)
- Monkian (pre-order)
Horror Icons “Savage World”
Doctor Who is a global phenomenon. Both the classic and the current series are immensely popular, and as such there are tons of things you can purchase to give fans of the British sci-fi franchise.
- The Complete Eleventh Series Blu-ray
- The Complete David Tennant Collection Blu-ray
- Tom Baker Complete Season One Blu-ray
- TARDIS Type Forty Instruction Manual by Richard Atkinson and Mike Tucker
- Doctor Who Meets Scratchman by Tom Baker
- A Brief History of Time Lords by Steve Tribe
- The Official Cookbook: 40 Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Recipes by Joanna Farrow
- 2020 desk calendar
- 2020 wall calendar
- Doctor Who: Fluxx card game
- Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks board game
- TARDIS mug
- Doctor Who Funko Pop figures
I don’t like getting doubles. The black & white Universal Monsters are exclusive to Walgreens, and the first one (on my birthday) I got was the Wolf Man. My wife went back the next day and bought four more…and one of them was the Wolf Man. What am I supposed to do with two Wolf Men? Offer it up for trade on the blog?
I really want Frankenstein or the Creature from the Black Lagoon. If you have either of these (either color or b&w) and you are willing to trade for Wolfie, let me know!
- Dean Cain writing Lois & Clark ‘idea’ exploring Superman’s parenting skills [SyFy Wire]
- Henry Cavill to Play Sherlock Holmes Opposite Millie Bobby Brown in ‘Enola Holmes’ [Variety]
- The Black Keys and Raconteurs Take Rock Back to the Future [Rolling Stone]
- Victoria Pedretti To Headline ‘The Haunting of Bly Manor’ Netflix Series [Deadline]
- Sir Elton [Phantom Cardboard]
- The True Story of How Toy Story 4’s Forky Was Conceived, Written, Voiced, and Animated [Vulture]
- He-Man and She-Ra Little Golden Book interior preview images are here! [He-Man.org]
- A Junior for All Seasons Part 1: the Kid on the Topps Designs of the 50’s [The Junior Junkie] (JT sez: This is an old post, but Topps’ recent use of Griffey in The Living Set brought it back to my mind.)
- 2019 Chachi #45 Jay Bruce [The Phillies Room]
- 1989 All-Star Ballot [From a 1980s Baseball Card Collector]
- He-wok and skel-wok figures [fortheloveofoldtoys on etsy]
- The Patents Behind Toy Story’s Beloved Characters [Smithsonian.com]
- Optimus Prime Gets a Cool Transformers/Ghostbusters Mashup Action Figure For SDCC [GeekTyrant] (JT sez: Cool? Definitely. $150 cool? Not so much.)
- 5 Ways to Overcome Writer’s Block [A Writer’s Path]
- Meet Ray Lamb, the last Dodger to wear Jackie Robinson’s No. 42 — by mistake [Los Angeles Times]
- Report: Arrow Season 8 Will Feature Smallville Alum Tom Welling [CBR.com]
- Of Myths and Men (pt. 1) [SABR’s Baseball Cards Committee]
- Neil Young and Crazy Horse set to record their first album in seven years [Consequence of Sound]
- Bootlegging Dreams Into Reality [Branded in the 80s]
- 8 Silent Films Every Sci-Fi and Horror Fan Should See [io9]
- Reflections On Worship, From A-Z [Preacher Pollard’s Blog]
What I’m Reading Right Now: Firefight: The Reckoners, Book Two by Brandon Sanderson. (Yes, still working on it.)
I have been following Funko‘s various social media accounts as they reveal upcoming releases at Comic Cons and Toy Fairs. A lot of great stuff on deck, including characters from The Office, Office Space, The Lion King, *NSync, and more.
I think the one I am anticipating more than any other is Shazam. I’m a huge Zachary Levi fan, and the trailer for the movie looks hilarious, so this one is definitely going to be added to my collection at some point this year.
But if you’re not into comic book movies or sitcoms or Disney or boybands, never fear…Funko will continue to produce sports-themed Funko Pops in 2019. MLB, NFL, and NASCAR are all among the upcoming releases. Even Muhammad Ali and Babe Ruth are a part of the 2019 roster.
I mentioned Thundercats yesterday, so I might as well throw a few ideas out there that the Thundercats fan in your life will love.
- Original Series: Season 1, Volume 1
- Original Series: Season 1, Volume 2
- Original Series: Season 2, Volume 1
- Original Series: Season 2, Volume 2
- 2011 Reboot
- A Cat’s Tail (One-Shot Comic)
- Reclaiming Thundera
- The Return
- Dogs of War
- Hammer Hand’s Revenge
- Enemy’s Pride
- Thundercats/Battle of the Planets (One-Shot Comic)
- Superman/Thundercats (One-Shot Comic)
- Origins: Heroes and Villains (One-Shot Comic)
- Origins: Villains and Heroes (One-Shot Comic)
Toys and Collectibles
- Funko POP! [Most of these are retired figures and insanely expensive. If you buy these for people on your list, tell me how to become your friend!]: Lion-O, Lion-O (flocked, 2014 SDCC Exclusive), Panthro, Cheetara, Tygra, Snarf, or Mumm-Ra
- Funko Savage World [Beware of the quality of these figures, as several reviews state they break as soon as they are taken out of the package!]: Lion-O, Panthro, Mumm-Ra, or Slithe
- Funko Vynl: Lion-O + Mumm-ra or Panthro + Cheetara
- The Loyal Subjects Blind Box
- Series 1 (2012 SDCC Exclusive), Series 2, Series 3, or Series 4
- Thundercats Logo T-shirt
- Thundercats Characters T-shirt
- Mumm-Ra Logo T-shirt
- Lion-O Infant Onesie
- Feline Rhapsody T-shirt
- Thundercats Logo Baseball Cap
Other odds & ends
- Sword of Omens
- Sword of Omens (Dagger-sized)
- Lion-O’s Claw Shield
- Panthro’s Nunchucks
- Tygra’s Whip
- Light Switch Cover
- Sword of Omens Keychain
- Logo Keychain
- Snarf Keychain
- Perfect for fans of parodies like Garbage Pail Kids: Thunderbrats Trading Cards