Christmas gift ideas for the baseball fanatic
Baseball is the one sport whose history is every bit as important as what is happening on the field. The record books are held in reverence, and the heroes of the past loom over the stars of today. With that in mind, here are some fantastic books that the baseball fanatic in your life will love.
- The League of Outsider Baseball: An Illustrated History of Baseball’s Forgotten Heroes by Gary Cieradkowski – This is at the top of the list for a reason. If you buy no other book for your baseball fan this holiday season, but this one. From the excellent illustrations to the entertaining articles, baseball fans the world over will absolutely love The League of Outsider Baseball. This is the most important and highest recommended book on this list.
- Pudge: The Biography of Carlton Fisk by Doug Wilson – Wilson has made a name for himself with some fantastic baseball biographies; his work on the life of Carlton Fisk is his most recent. Baseball fans will also enjoy Wilson’s The Bird (biography of Mark Fidrych) and Brooks (biography of Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson).
- 101 Baseball Places to See Before You Strike Out by Josh Pahigian – A good list of baseball meccas to help you plan your summer vacation.
- Baseball Myths: Debating, Debunking, and Disproving Tales from the Diamond by Bill Deane – A fun read with shorter articles that examine several legendary tales from the diamond. Stories about Derek Jeter, Pete Rose, and Babe Ruth are included.
- Tony Oliva: The Life and Times of a Minnesota Twins Legend by Thom Henninger – Tony Oliva is one of the most popular players in Minnesota history, and Henninger’s look at his life shows why.
Not everyone likes to read. I get that. Well, maybe I don’t get that, but I am aware of that fact at least. So here are some other ideas for the baseball fan on your list.
- OYO Sports Figures and Playsets – This LEGO-like toy is a great gift if you know your fan’s favorite player.
- Super Stadium Baseball Game – Kids (and kids at heart) can have hours of fun with this game.
- The Baseball Card Game by TDC Games – Not as involved as Super Stadium, but a fun way to pass the time.
- Classic Board Game – A great trivia game from the early 1990s, including 100 baseball trading cards.
- Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns – Ten DVDs chronicling the history of the national pastime. Originally aired on PBS in 1994; updated in 2010.