Dressed To Thrill: A Tribute to KISS with Female Vocalists (2014)
Dressed To Thrill: A Tribute to KISS with Female Vocalists
Genterine Records, 2014
Tribute albums are tricky, especially when the subject of the tribute is an iconic band such as KISS. If you play the song too faithfully, you’re not creative enough. But if you stray too far, you are being disrespectful to the artist’s original vision. A difficult task indeed, but the artists on Dressed To Thrill: A Tribute To KISS with Female Vocalists do a fine job combining their own voice with KISS’ original vision.
The song selection is particularly interesting. In addition to the classics “Detroit Rock City” and “Rock And Roll All Nite,” deeper cuts such as “See You Tonight” from Gene Simmons’ 1978 album and “Love Her All I Can” from Dressed To Kill are included. Many of these songs are very faithful to the originals, with one major difference: all the singers are women. Hollywood Groupies’ “C’mon and Love Me” is perhaps a bit more fiery than the original, and Confession Box follows a different melody on the chorus in “Forever.” The show-stealer on Dressed To Thrill is Karma Lingo’s cover of “I Was Made For Lovin’ You,” a beautiful marriage of rock and pop.
1. Detroit Rock City (Radio Cult)
2. Ladies Room (Killer Kowalski)
3. See You Tonight (Mantlepiece)
4. Parasite (Viva La Venus)
5. A World Without Heroes (October Layne)
6. C’mon and Love Me (Hollywood Groupies)
7. Forever (Confession Box)
8. I Was Made For Lovin’ You (Karma Lingo)
9. Rock And Roll All Nite (Radio Cult)
10. Hard Luck Woman (Willem & Dakota)
11. Love Her All I Can (Killer Kowalski)