Category Archives: random
- 2014 Comic Card – Jay Bruce [Jay Bruce Custom Cards & More]
- Top 5 albums…Tom Petty / Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers [Vocals On Top]
- Star Wars propaganda posters [Super Punch]
- The Greatest Sports Figure From Each State [mental_floss]
- Classic album covers in Google Street View – in pictures [The Guardian]
- 10 Horrific Pizza Portraits [RiotDaily.com]
- The Rest of Last Week [Mark's Ephemera] (JT sez: Some really cool baseball tunes in this post.)
I spent an enjoyable week in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, with my family last week. The kids swam, my wife and I watched the sunrise, and all of us enjoyed trying new restaurants not available to us at home. That is my rule about vacations: we don’t eat McDonalds or Dominos or any other restaurant that we have easy access to in the Cincinnati area. Our dining experiences included the Hard Rock Café and Fuddruckers, but also Prosser’s BBQ and 2 Goombas Pizza and Brother Shuckers Fish House and Gino’s Real New York Pizza. It was fun dining in these strange establishments, nibbling on familiar foods in unfamiliar places, with slightly different recipes or presentations or atmospheres.
By the way, the next time you’re in Myrtle Beach, if you don’t try anything else, you need to eat at Brother Shuckers.
Vacation ended Sunday with a long drive home made longer by a jackknifed tractor trailer. The kids had to be back for school on Monday; I still had two more days before work slapped me in the face again. And now, only a few days after pulling into the driveway, we’re back into our routine of waking up, taking the kids to school, and going about our boring, humdrum, mediocre activities.
Fifty-two weeks in a year, and only a few of those weeks are reserved for vacation; relaxing and recharging and revisiting what I miss about being young: lack of responsibility. Of course, the responsibility is still there, just waiting for you to come back to it, but for that one (or two, or if you’re really fortunate three) week(s), there is nothing holding you back from having fun (except for the predetermined spending limit).
So for fifty-one (or fifty, or if you’re really fortunate forty-nine) weeks, we work for that short time of pleasure. Sure, there are days off during those fiftyish weeks. There are long weekends, and holidays, and the like. But that’s not really enough time to truly get away from it all, and even if it was, who has the money for it?
I envy authors who are sent on book tours, though I’m sure if I was a published author I would dread those book tours. I love visiting different cities. They don’t even have to be exotic. Just different, away-from-Cincinnati cities. But I’m not a big fan of personal appearances, even on the audience side. I suppose I’m a bit shy and just feel out of place, like why should I be going to see this author or ballplayer or musician or whoever it might be? He’s just a person, like me (albeit with much greater talents than I possess). Sometimes I’m embarrassed to ask for an autograph or to ask a question. And then I imagine how I would feel in their place…why on earth would people want to sit and listen to me talk or ask me a question or get my autograph? And so the book tour part of it is not so appealing, but the traveling certainly is.
I would love to quit my “day job” (which is actually a night job) and just travel, crashing on people’s couches and eating at different restaurants and visiting off-the-wall museums and just living life. Because I don’t really feel alive while I’m at work, or even on the days between work. On those days in between, I’m just dreading the next day that I do have to work, so there’s still no living being done.
Is it a rut? Is it boredom? I’m not really sure. One thing is for sure: vacation is over.
- 45 Ultimate Tips For Men. Number 40 Will Help You Go Far In Life. [tickld]
- 1973 Topps All Star Cards : National League Battery [Cards That Never Were]
- Not the Han Solo I remember [Plaid Stallions]
- The most adorable Han Solo and Chewbacca are this kid and his dog [io9]
- The Durham Bulls Have Unveiled Their ‘Star Wars’ Uniforms For An Upcoming Game [Uproxx]
- Ace Frehley Returning With ‘Space Invader’ In June [Sleaze Roxx]
- 14 Web Toys to Fill Your Day [mental_floss]
- 15 Productivity Secrets from Very Prolific Writers [mental_floss]
- Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley Address Rumors That Eddie Van Halen Wanted To Join KISS [Van Halen News Desk]
- KISS May Write New Music For Their Football Team [Ultimate Classic Rock]
- Hendrix Movie Doesn’t Need Icon’s Music [Classic Rock Magazine]
- Kevin Bacon Explains the ’80s to Millennials [Mashable on YouTube]
- This Is Madness: The Star Wars Character Tournament [Starwars.com]
- Art Styles: Same Object, Different Approach [Answers To Unasked Questions]
- Some Lucky Kid Owns This Custom Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Cozy Coupe [Nerd Approved]
- Poor Quisenberry [Pulp Ephemera]
- Free Download: Curbly’s Alternative Uses Cheat Sheet Bundle [Curbly]
- 1972 Mets Fantazy Cards Plus [Mets Baseball Cards Like They Ought To Be]
- Inspired by The Walking Dead’s Carl Grimes, Man Eats 11 Pounds of Pudding [FearNet]
- Pennywise Tattoo Art Print [ParlorTattooPrints on etsy]
- Junior Achievement [The Topps Archives]
- What the Bailey extension means for the Reds [Redleg Nation] (JT sez: That’s a lot of money, but if Homer lives up to that potential we were promised six years ago, it’s a steal.)
- Mike Leake, Donald Lutz happy with their Topps baseball cards [Cincinnati.com]
- The Mystery of Cincinnati’s Mr. Red and His Number 27—Solved [Todd Radom Random Thoughts]
- Creating a couple of custom Kiner cards [Bob Lemke's Blog]
- More Horror Icons Reimagined as Garbage Pail Kids! [FearNet]
- Bob Feller Museum faces financial hardship [Paul's Random Baseball Stuff]
- Why Stormtroopers Always Miss [Pikstra]
I was very disappointed this morning when I logged on to The Old Reader this morning and saw they were going to begin charging for accounts with more than 100 subscriptions. I currently subscribe to over 200.
I’m not going to pay to read blogs.
And so I will be making the switch to Feedly, a free service (as far as I can tell). There is a “pro” version which allows for advanced features, but I do not believe it costs anything to just read.
So long, The Old Reader.
- A Week Without the Internet [mental_floss] (JT sez: This is a sobering documentary. Great quote from the video: “I feel I’ve wasted a significant part of the last decade online.”)
- 7 Charming Photos of George W. Bush That Will Make You Miss Him Even More [Independent Journal Review]
- Star Wars/NFL Mash-Up [imgur]
- The Ministry Has Fallen [imgur]
- Pop Culture Cartography [Branded in the 80s]
- Valentine’s Day 2014: Odes from a Killer – Freddy Krueger’s “Ode to the Glove” [The Moon is a Dead World]
- Mr. Sandman Brings You a New Bates Motel Season 2 Promo [iHorror]
I didn’t watch much of the big game last night, and I haven’t YouTubed all of the commercials. But I’ve seen this one pop up on Facebook and several blogs, and I’m not afraid to say that it is hands-down the greatest Super Bowl commercial of all-time.
So much 80s awesomeness here…Hulk Hogan, Ponch, Cliff, Alf, Chucky, Jason, Teen Wolf, Sgt. Slaughter, Dee Snider…I could go on, but you get the point.
Thank you, Radio Shack, for bringing a little joy to my life.
- 10 Famous Album Covers Recreated in Lego [Flavor Wire]
- Parallel Universe: previewing 2014 Topps’ lesser-known parallels [Baseball Card Breakdown]
- Shuffle them Duke boys good Rosco [Branded in the 80s]
- This cartoon is best viewed on your phone [See Mike Draw]
- ‘Walking Dead’ Crew Pulls Crazy Zombie Prank on Star Norman Reedus [Rolling Stone]
- Doctor Who, Breaking Bad, Star Wars and more as Little Golden Tales [Super Punch]
- Breaking Madden: The Super Bowl, in which the machine bleeds to death [SB Nation]
- The 25 Best Series on Netflix Instant, Ranked [Uproxx]
- Vintage Star Wars Toy Store Photos From 1979-1983 [Kenner Collector]
- A Treasure Trove of Baseball Videos [Wrigley Wax]
- My Pop Culture Parking Lot… [Branded in the 80s]
- Hall voting system ain’t broke — but SHOULD be tweaked [Fox Sports]
- The 50 best baseball players not in the Hall of Fame, Version 4.0 [Baseball: Past and Present]
- The Steroid Hunt [Grantland]
- Awesome 80s Bedrooms: E.T. Edition… [Branded in the 80s]
- Fandom Library: Star Wars Spectacular! [Jon's Random Acts of Geekery]
- 30 Things Turning 30 in 2014 [mental_floss]
- Celebrity Jersey Cards #156 Rasheed Wallace & Vanilla Ice [Johngy's Beat]
- Very Short Stories [Super Punch]
- Top 10 Winter Blizzard Songs [Ultimate Classic Rock]
- Science teacher gets surprising results from McDonald’s diet [Yahoo! Screen]
(November 27, 1945 – December 31, 2013)
James Avery, who played “Uncle Phil” on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, passed away on the last day of 2013 from complications following open heart surgery.
- ‘Doctor Who’ Personality Quiz: Which Doctor Are You? [BBC America]
- The Hall of Fame Personality Quiz [Sports On Earth]
- Rock & Roll Heaven: How they would look today [Sachs Media Group]
- Classic Movies in Miniature Style [Behance]
- These 2 Kids Have Taken A Photo With Santa For 34 Years. Needless To Say, The Last Few Are Epic. [Viralnova]
- The Man in the Blue Box [MichaelthePure's deviantART]
- Kurt Cobain Not a Music Icon, Gene Simmons Says [Diffuser.fm]
- Is Andy Kaufman Still Alive? Legendary Prankster Faked His Own Death, Says Brother And Alleged ‘Daughter’ [International Business Times]
- How To (and How Not To) Audition for ‘Star Wars’ [Yahoo! Movies]
- When Great Isn’t Good Enough [Redleg Nation]
- Choose Your Own Adventure… Fleer [The Baseball Card Blog]
- “Hot Stove” Custom – Brayan Peña Signs With The Reds [The Shlabotnik Report]
- Awesome night card, pt. 198 [Night Owl Cards]
- Creative Parents Bring Their Kids’ Dinosaur Toys to Life at Night [FearNet]
- Average Real Pricing (ARP): The Future of the Price Guide [The Baseball Card Blog]
- Remembering Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground With Choice Covers [Stop The Presses]
- The Deleted ‘Jedi’ Line That Redeemed Obi-Wan Kenobi [The Hollywood Reporter]
- How To Make Custom Minifigures Using Water Slide Decals [Custom Lego Minifigures]
- DIY Wall Art: Melted Crayons on Canvas [Jenna Brown Photography]
- YouTube Challenge – I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy 2013 [Jimmy Kimmel Live YouTube]
- Reds trade rumors: Move Brandon Phillips to pay Jay Bruce [SB Nation]
- Farewell, Lou Scheimer. [James Eatock Presents: The He-Man and She-Ra Blog!]
- Louis Scheimer [Guest Book]
- More Hembeck Horrors [Wonderful Wonderblog]
- Teddy Immortalized on Cardboard [OMGreds]
- a few cards that should have been for the 1978 topps dodgers in 1985 [Garvey Cey Russell Lopes]
- Yasiel Puig surprises Little League team in Los Angeles, throws batting practice [Yahoo! Sports]
- 6 of the Most Expensive Pieces of Star Wars Memorabilia [mental_floss]
- McDonald’s Employee Interrupts CEO Speech to Ask For $15/hr [Independent Journal Review]
- Spooky Sign Post DIY [Dave Lowe Design]
- Halloween Music Mixes [Wonderful Wonderblog]
- Full Screen Mario
- Richard Belzer as John Munch in 10 Shows Over 20 Years [Yahoo! TV]
- The Top 50 Scariest Television Episodes of All Time [io9]
- Coming to a theater near you… again: True story of the 80s kids who spent seven years painstakingly recreating a shot-by-shot Indiana Jones remake and have now sold the rights to their movie [Mail Online]
- ‘Field of Dream’ hosts living legends charity game [ABC 7 News]
- a black armband for big klu [garvey cey russell lopes]
- Little Anakin as Darth Vader: Star Wars Parody [m. deicke's YouTube]
- “No Dinosaur…Ever Breathed Fire” [Apologetics Press]
- Money, Power and Mark Wagner: Making Art with Dollars [Yahoo! News]
- He’s My Brother, She’s My Sister On World Cafe [npr]
- Hembeck Horrors [Wonderful Wonderblog]
- This massive Lego Masters of the Universe line needs to be real [io9]
- Unofficial LEGO Monty Python sets that you’ll never see in stores [The Brothers Brick]
- The Monty Python and the Holy Grail trailer recut into a serious flim [io9]
- High five [Night Owl Cards]
- Thrashor is the Master of the Radical Universe [Branded in the 80s]
- Custom Set Preview: 2013/14 TSR Hot Stove [The Shlabotnik Report]
- No More Mr. Nice Guy [Baseball Card Vandals]