Category Archives: random
- What the Bailey extension means for the Reds [Redleg Nation] (JT sez: That’s a lot of money, but if Homer lives up to that potential we were promised six years ago, it’s a steal.)
- Mike Leake, Donald Lutz happy with their Topps baseball cards [Cincinnati.com]
- The Mystery of Cincinnati’s Mr. Red and His Number 27—Solved [Todd Radom Random Thoughts]
- Creating a couple of custom Kiner cards [Bob Lemke's Blog]
- More Horror Icons Reimagined as Garbage Pail Kids! [FearNet]
- Bob Feller Museum faces financial hardship [Paul's Random Baseball Stuff]
- Why Stormtroopers Always Miss [Pikstra]
I was very disappointed this morning when I logged on to The Old Reader this morning and saw they were going to begin charging for accounts with more than 100 subscriptions. I currently subscribe to over 200.
I’m not going to pay to read blogs.
And so I will be making the switch to Feedly, a free service (as far as I can tell). There is a “pro” version which allows for advanced features, but I do not believe it costs anything to just read.
So long, The Old Reader.
- A Week Without the Internet [mental_floss] (JT sez: This is a sobering documentary. Great quote from the video: “I feel I’ve wasted a significant part of the last decade online.”)
- 7 Charming Photos of George W. Bush That Will Make You Miss Him Even More [Independent Journal Review]
- Star Wars/NFL Mash-Up [imgur]
- The Ministry Has Fallen [imgur]
- Pop Culture Cartography [Branded in the 80s]
- Valentine’s Day 2014: Odes from a Killer – Freddy Krueger’s “Ode to the Glove” [The Moon is a Dead World]
- Mr. Sandman Brings You a New Bates Motel Season 2 Promo [iHorror]
I didn’t watch much of the big game last night, and I haven’t YouTubed all of the commercials. But I’ve seen this one pop up on Facebook and several blogs, and I’m not afraid to say that it is hands-down the greatest Super Bowl commercial of all-time.
So much 80s awesomeness here…Hulk Hogan, Ponch, Cliff, Alf, Chucky, Jason, Teen Wolf, Sgt. Slaughter, Dee Snider…I could go on, but you get the point.
Thank you, Radio Shack, for bringing a little joy to my life.
- 10 Famous Album Covers Recreated in Lego [Flavor Wire]
- Parallel Universe: previewing 2014 Topps’ lesser-known parallels [Baseball Card Breakdown]
- Shuffle them Duke boys good Rosco [Branded in the 80s]
- This cartoon is best viewed on your phone [See Mike Draw]
- ‘Walking Dead’ Crew Pulls Crazy Zombie Prank on Star Norman Reedus [Rolling Stone]
- Doctor Who, Breaking Bad, Star Wars and more as Little Golden Tales [Super Punch]
- Breaking Madden: The Super Bowl, in which the machine bleeds to death [SB Nation]
- The 25 Best Series on Netflix Instant, Ranked [Uproxx]
- Vintage Star Wars Toy Store Photos From 1979-1983 [Kenner Collector]
- A Treasure Trove of Baseball Videos [Wrigley Wax]
- My Pop Culture Parking Lot… [Branded in the 80s]
- Hall voting system ain’t broke — but SHOULD be tweaked [Fox Sports]
- The 50 best baseball players not in the Hall of Fame, Version 4.0 [Baseball: Past and Present]
- The Steroid Hunt [Grantland]
- Awesome 80s Bedrooms: E.T. Edition… [Branded in the 80s]
- Fandom Library: Star Wars Spectacular! [Jon's Random Acts of Geekery]
- 30 Things Turning 30 in 2014 [mental_floss]
- Celebrity Jersey Cards #156 Rasheed Wallace & Vanilla Ice [Johngy's Beat]
- Very Short Stories [Super Punch]
- Top 10 Winter Blizzard Songs [Ultimate Classic Rock]
- Science teacher gets surprising results from McDonald’s diet [Yahoo! Screen]
(November 27, 1945 – December 31, 2013)
James Avery, who played “Uncle Phil” on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, passed away on the last day of 2013 from complications following open heart surgery.
- ‘Doctor Who’ Personality Quiz: Which Doctor Are You? [BBC America]
- The Hall of Fame Personality Quiz [Sports On Earth]
- Rock & Roll Heaven: How they would look today [Sachs Media Group]
- Classic Movies in Miniature Style [Behance]
- These 2 Kids Have Taken A Photo With Santa For 34 Years. Needless To Say, The Last Few Are Epic. [Viralnova]
- The Man in the Blue Box [MichaelthePure's deviantART]
- Kurt Cobain Not a Music Icon, Gene Simmons Says [Diffuser.fm]
- Is Andy Kaufman Still Alive? Legendary Prankster Faked His Own Death, Says Brother And Alleged ‘Daughter’ [International Business Times]
- How To (and How Not To) Audition for ‘Star Wars’ [Yahoo! Movies]
- When Great Isn’t Good Enough [Redleg Nation]
- Choose Your Own Adventure… Fleer [The Baseball Card Blog]
- “Hot Stove” Custom – Brayan Peña Signs With The Reds [The Shlabotnik Report]
- Awesome night card, pt. 198 [Night Owl Cards]
- Creative Parents Bring Their Kids’ Dinosaur Toys to Life at Night [FearNet]
- Average Real Pricing (ARP): The Future of the Price Guide [The Baseball Card Blog]
- Remembering Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground With Choice Covers [Stop The Presses]
- The Deleted ‘Jedi’ Line That Redeemed Obi-Wan Kenobi [The Hollywood Reporter]
- How To Make Custom Minifigures Using Water Slide Decals [Custom Lego Minifigures]
- DIY Wall Art: Melted Crayons on Canvas [Jenna Brown Photography]
- YouTube Challenge – I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy 2013 [Jimmy Kimmel Live YouTube]
- Reds trade rumors: Move Brandon Phillips to pay Jay Bruce [SB Nation]
- Farewell, Lou Scheimer. [James Eatock Presents: The He-Man and She-Ra Blog!]
- Louis Scheimer [Guest Book]
- More Hembeck Horrors [Wonderful Wonderblog]
- Teddy Immortalized on Cardboard [OMGreds]
- a few cards that should have been for the 1978 topps dodgers in 1985 [Garvey Cey Russell Lopes]
- Yasiel Puig surprises Little League team in Los Angeles, throws batting practice [Yahoo! Sports]
- 6 of the Most Expensive Pieces of Star Wars Memorabilia [mental_floss]
- McDonald’s Employee Interrupts CEO Speech to Ask For $15/hr [Independent Journal Review]
- Spooky Sign Post DIY [Dave Lowe Design]
- Halloween Music Mixes [Wonderful Wonderblog]
- Full Screen Mario
- Richard Belzer as John Munch in 10 Shows Over 20 Years [Yahoo! TV]
- The Top 50 Scariest Television Episodes of All Time [io9]
- Coming to a theater near you… again: True story of the 80s kids who spent seven years painstakingly recreating a shot-by-shot Indiana Jones remake and have now sold the rights to their movie [Mail Online]
- ‘Field of Dream’ hosts living legends charity game [ABC 7 News]
- a black armband for big klu [garvey cey russell lopes]
- Little Anakin as Darth Vader: Star Wars Parody [m. deicke's YouTube]
- “No Dinosaur…Ever Breathed Fire” [Apologetics Press]
- Money, Power and Mark Wagner: Making Art with Dollars [Yahoo! News]
- He’s My Brother, She’s My Sister On World Cafe [npr]
- Hembeck Horrors [Wonderful Wonderblog]
- This massive Lego Masters of the Universe line needs to be real [io9]
- Unofficial LEGO Monty Python sets that you’ll never see in stores [The Brothers Brick]
- The Monty Python and the Holy Grail trailer recut into a serious flim [io9]
- High five [Night Owl Cards]
- Thrashor is the Master of the Radical Universe [Branded in the 80s]
- Custom Set Preview: 2013/14 TSR Hot Stove [The Shlabotnik Report]
- No More Mr. Nice Guy [Baseball Card Vandals]
You can now play Missile Command on YouTube. Go to the site, start any video, click outside the video pane, type “1980″ and the game will load up above your selected video.
This isn’t a joke.
This is for real.
And I just lost my job because I’m going to be late.
- Rock Allegiance Tour 2013 – Airbourne [Hard Rock Hideout]
- Monster Mad Lib Contest [...It's On Random]
- The Late Movies: 7 Actors Who Played Batman Before Ben Affleck (And What Fans Had to Say About Them) [mental_floss]
- Two-Timing Superheroes: Ben Affleck and 10 Actors Who’ve Played Multiple Comic Characters [The Hollywood Reporter]
- All Five Monsters Cereals Will Be Brought Back For Halloween [Laughing Squid]
- Scream Factory’s The Vincent Price Collection Press Release [Horror Society]
- ‘Arrested Development’ Movie Is Moving Forward [Rolling Stone]
(check out that beautiful screech at 2:22!)
- New Custom Set: 1978 Topps Traded [The Baseball Card Blog]
- Ice Cre4m [snack to the future]
- ‘Doctor Who’ at 50: Meet the 11 faces of the Time Lord [Hero Complex]
- Tour The Interior Of The TARDIS In Google Maps [Geekologie]
- 10 Often Overlooked Metal Albums [Loudwire]
- The Best of… Nada Surf: A Greatest Hits type Compilation [Vocals On Top]
- Unearthed & Untold: The Path To Pet Sematary Official Trailer [John Campopiano's YouTube]
I was heartbroken earlier this week when I read that The Old Reader was shutting its doors to those who started using the service after Google Reader shut down. I had grown accustomed to the site’s format and enjoyed it, and was thrown into a tailspin as to how I would keep up with all the blogs I like to read. I tried other RSS readers in the past, and was not happy with any of them. I use Feedly on my smartphone, but the web version is not my favorite and it is more difficult to read the articles and stay up-to-date.
Today, I was happy again. Apparently the good folks at The Old Reader have received some interest from outside parties to keep the site public.
At this point we are quite confident that public The Old Reader will be available in the future, now with a proper team running it.
More details later this week.
Sorry about Monday. Again.
Well that’s a relief, to me at least. I’m glad The Old Reader is sticking around.
- Lita Ford Live at Days of the Dead [Johngy's Beat]
- Slash To Release Soundtrack For ‘Nothing Left To Fear’ Horror Movie [Sleaze Roxx]
- Good Guys Pillow [Horror Decor]
- When old was new again: The Senior Professional Baseball Association’s cardboard impact [Cards by Sooz]
- Jon Smith- “Don’t Mess With The Bull” TEXAS edition [The Stuff]
- Vintage Faster Pussycat Concert Online [Bring Back Glam!]
- George Lynch rock card [Jay Bruce Custom Cards & More] (JT sez: This is Mick’s new blog, a fantastic tribute to Jay Bruce with some other randomly awesome things thrown in!)